Thursday, March 24, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Top 10 Tuesday time – a weekly bookish meme hosted over at The Broke & The Bookish. Today the topic is:

Top Ten Authors That Deserve More Recognition

It will be fun to read every one's list for this one. Here are the ones I managed to think of in no particular order:

*David McCullough : I've read two of his histories and find them very readable. I am not much of a reader of history, but he can keep my interest.

*Billie Letts: She writes a wonderful stories full of believable, sympathetic, and quirky characters . They are in situations that have you worrying about and pulling for the characters.

*Harold Bell Wright: His most famous book is "The Shepherd of the Hills" and is one of my all time favorites. He is well known as a "tale teller" whose stories were written to uplift and strengthen the reader. I have yet to see where anyone has read and reviewed anything of his and I hate that lots of folks are missing out on The Shepherd of the Hills.

*Elie Wiesel: His most famous work, Night, told his personal story of being held prisoner in the Auschwitz, Buna, and Buchenwald concentration camps. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986 for speaking out against violence, repression, and racism. His many books include fiction as well as non-fiction.

*Ariana Franklin: I just started reading this author last year. Her historical mysteries are intriguing. I have really enjoyed them.

*Cecelia Ahern: Her stories are lots of fun to read. They are sweet, sad and funny. Her writing makes you feel as if you were right there in the situation.

*China Melville: What he writes is basically fantasy, but it is so much more. In the complex worlds he builds for his novels you can see problems that haunt us now.

*Dave Barry: This guy is one of the funniest writers I have ever read. My sister and I love to sit and read his collections together. He can find the absurd in most anything. His novel Big Trouble is the FUNNIEST book ever. Give him a try.

*Spencer Quinn: This is a fairly new author, at least to me. I've read three of his books, the Chet and Bernie series, and quite enjoyed them.His characters are delightfully quirky and his mysteries fun.

*Jennifer Crusie: I'm not much of a romance reader, but I've read several of hers and loved them. I think it is because the romance wasn't very heavy. The stories were all good.

1 comment:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I totally agree with you about David McCullough. He is such a good historian..very readable. Good call.