Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created  at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

This week's Top Ten from The Broke and the Bookish asks for 10 books you would love to get for Christmas. Here's my list:

1. The River of Doubt by Candice Millard. I have been wanting to listen to this book for a couple of years. I've even requested it from the library but they have yet to get it. I've put it down and one of the books to read next year for a Reading Challenge so I'm going to break down and buy it if I don't get it for Christmas. :)

2. On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers. When I saw that this book was used in the making of the newest Pirate's movie, I just decided I wanted to read it. Go figure.

3.Emma by Jane Austen. The Penguin Clothbound Classic. I want to read this and these books are so pretty. What can I say.

4. Andersonville by MacKinlay Kantor. I've had this Pulitzer Prize winning book on my list for a couple of years.

5. Howard's End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading From Home by Susan Hill. I need to quit buying books and read the ones I have. So I thought this one might be a springboard to that goal. Perhaps I'll go buy it.......

6. Discount Noir by Various Authors. An anthology of over 40 short mystery stories that take place in and around a big discount store (Megamart.) Sounds like fun....gotta have it.

7. You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning by Cilea Rivenbark. This author never fails to meke me laugh. Out loud. Regardless of where I am.

8. Women of Magdalene by Rosemary Poole-Carter. I've seen several very positive reviews of this book on the book blogs in the past and would still like to get it.

9. A Conspiracy of Friends by Alexander McCall Smith. This is the third in the Corduroy Mansions series. This is the same author who wrote the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency (which I can't get enough of) and many other books. I greatly enjoyed the first two books and will be reading this one soon.

10. I am Half Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley. This is the newest Flavia De Luce book. I just love this series and can't wait to read this one.

5 comments:

DeniseF said...

Andersonville sounds really good!

Unknown said...

I love Alan Bradley and I Am Half-Sick of Shadows is such a great seasonal read. I hope you enjoy it!

kayerj said...

Looks like Santa will have some fun times at the book store. have a merry Christmas and thanks for stopping by.

Aeicha @ Word Spelunking said...

You some really intriguing choices there!

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I loved I Am Hald Sick of Shadows! Yay for Flavia, I hope you get it.